A downloadable game for Windows
I wanted to make a Worms style game where players controlled little symbiotic creatures and had to take over NPC humans. Once they had taken over a human they would be able to fire organic weapons a bit like the Goo Gun in Unreal Tournament.
Getting the arcing shot and turn based stuff working took up a lot of my time, so what I have now is a turn based game where two players can float about and try and take each other out with bouncing shots.
Turns out there is a lot of maths involved in getting arcing shots and bouncing working well. This week I learned a couple of things.
1) You need a certain quality level to really test if mechanics work. I had a super hacky implementation of bouncing but if 50% of the time it clips through the wall it's hard to tell if it works or not. A large part of this is just my skill with Game Maker but I definitely feel like it's taking me less time to implement the features I want.
2) NEW RULE: If I have it in and working to a decent standard I can't touch it. I had two individual player objects and a working turn system. I wanted to set up a player parent object and ended up breaking everything. I wasted a day just getting back to where I was previously.
Overall i'm quite happy with this one. I actually did a bit of two player play testing and it's the first game-a-week prototype where I thought "yeah, there could be something fun here".
Install the .exe
- Players take it in turns to move around the level and shoot at each other.
- Red Crab goes first.
- Moving and shooting uses up action points. You start with a hundred.
- Getting hit causes crabs to bounce about and lose 1 HP. You start with 5 HP
Left and Right Arrow - Move left and Right
Up Arrow - Float up
LMB - Shoot bounce shot
Mouse - Aim
R - restart
Esc - Quit
There's a bunch of other numbers. Just ignore them, they're debug stuff. Also there is no Win / Lose screen.